Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links which means I may get a commission if you purchase through links with no additional cost to my readers. Read more.
Having a YouTube channel can bring many options to make money through perfect monetization.
If you are planning to start your own YouTube channel or already have it, then you must know “how to enable monetization on YouTube”.
There are many YouTubers who are actually earning over six-figure income just from YouTube ads through Google AdSense.
There are many activities you can do working from home and make money. All you need to have is the internet and a laptop or smartphone.
You can join the YouTube Partner Programme for monetizing your YouTube channel through Ads.
Before you apply for a YouTube partner program, you must fulfill the conditions.
- Your channel must have at least 4000 public watch hours in the last 12 months.
- Your channel must have at least 1000 subscribers in the last 12 months.
You can check your progress in the analytics section of your YouTube Studio. Just filter it with the last 365 days and then you will see the activities on your channel.
In this article, I will get you through the step-by-step process of enabling the monetization of YouTube in a few simple steps.
How To Enable Monetization On YouTube?
The process to enable monetization is pretty simple, but before that, you must have a YouTube channel with over 4000 hours of watch time with at least 1000 subscribers.
Once you meet these conditions, then YouTube will allow you to apply for the YouTube Partner Program.
Below are the steps to enable monetization on YouTube.
- Log in to YouTube and click on the profile icon on the upper right corner.
- Go To “YouTube Studio”. A channel dashboard will open. You will see many options related to your Channel.
You can check your analytics to see whether you meet the program conditions or not. Simply filter the analytics for 365 days. (Skip this step if you want to go directly to the monetization page.)
- Click on “Monetisation”. You will see the “monetization button” if you are eligible for the Partner Programme. If you are not eligible then you will see the button called “NOTIFY ME WHEN I’M ELIGIBLE”. This means that YouTube will notify you when your channel reaches the eligible criteria.
- How Much Does YouTube Pay For Views? (1k, 100k,1Million Views)
- What are the new YouTube AdSense monetization rules?
- Average Salary Of A YouTuber With 1 Million Subscribers (Monthly)
- How Youtube Ad Revenue Works.
- How Much Does YouTube Pay For 1 Million Views? (Monthly, Yearly)
- How do I monetize my YouTube channel on my mobile?
Setup An AdSense Account For Youtube Monetization
Google Adsense basically shows ads on YouTube channel videos. When a user sees the video or clicks on the ad link, then you will earn a commission. Let’s understand how to set up an AdSense account for your channel.
When you apply for Monetization, you will be asked to apply for a Google AdSense account during the monetization process.
If you have an over 10,000 subscriber with a good number of views, then your application may get accepted in lesser time like one week.
The process to apply for Monetization
- Go to the Monetization page of your YouTube channel and click on the “Start” button to sign up for Google AdSense. You will be asked to fill information related to your channel including your address. Google AdSense will mail you the letter with the Code inside to your address. Just type the code in your AdSense account and get your account verified.
- Go to “Set monetization preferences” and click on the “Start” button.
- You will see the different types of ad formats that you can show to the viewers. Ad formats are Display Ads, Overlay Ads, Sponsored Cards, and Skippable video ads.
- Select the ad type and click on the “Save” button. (it is recommended to select all the ad formats.)
Important things you must know
Once you enable monetization, YouTube will review your channel. The process takes around 30 days. They can accept or deny your monetization application.
See the most common reason for denial of your monetization application.
- Not following YouTube monetization policies and community guidelines.
- Content is not original.
- You buy sub4sub and followers.
- Not having an audio and stock image license.
- Buying traffic for spamming.
You can reapply after 30 days. Make sure that you read the rejection email and make changes accordingly.
- How Many Views To Make Money On YouTube (Per 1000, 1Million views)
- How to Make A Living From YouTube’s Partner Earnings.
YouTube Monetization Alternatives
If you are a new YouTuber or YouTube partner program reject your application, then you have many other options to monetize your YouTube channel.
You can contact brands in your niche and get sponsorships. There are many companies that pay YouTubers for signing sponsorship. If you have a good following on YouTube than Sponsorship will find you and offer a good proposal.
You will be paid a fixed amount of money or as per the views. Popular YouTubers charge higher as they can influence people about the company’s product or services.
Being a new YouTuber, you need to focus on building audiences through your video content. The more people like your videos and subscribe to your channel, the more chances for you to get sponsorships.
There are companies that share a unique link that redirect to their product or services. You can join their affiliate program and get the affiliate unique link and start promoting it in your videos.
Mention the link in the description and inform your audience to buy the service through the link in the description.
If you want to reach multiple companies for affiliate link then it’s better if you join affiliate networks where you will find multiple companies at one network. This saves time and effort.
The popular affiliate networks are Maxbounty, Flexoffers, Commission Junction, etc. Even I prefer promoting companies’ products through one network rather than joining multiple companies separately.
You can create useful content and sell it on Patreon through memberships. There are YouTube creators who ask you to support them on Patreon. They are actually promoting their own content.
If you are good at creating content then you must use Patreon and sell it online. All you have to do is, just tell your audiences to find more useful content on Patreon through the link.
You can sell membership in levels like Blue Patron, Bronze Patron, Silver Patron and many more. Set your own price for each level and start earning money whenever someone buys your membership.
Sell Your Own Product Or Services
This is pretty interesting. Many YouTubers promote their own product or services in their video. People who get interested, contact them or buy their services online.
I have seen YouTubers who keeps creating video content and sell their service in the end. They basically educate, influence and then try to sell viewers. This is the strategy many marketers are following.
If you start selling from the start of your video then people may find you being salsy. If your video has the power to influence or you are sharing superb informational content then you will find an increase in the sale.
All you have to do is keep creating informational videos and pitch for sale at the end of the video.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
There are some questions that many people come across related to enabling monetization on YouTube.
Why can’t I enable monetization on YouTube?
You may have not fulfilled the monetization condition such as 4000 hours watch time with at least 1000 subscribers in the last 12 months. The other reason could be not meeting YouTube policies and guidelines, duplication, spamming or not using licensed music and images.
How many views do you need to get paid on YouTube?
YouTube pays on the basis of CPC (cost per click) and CPM (cost per mille) on 1000 impressions. On average, you can make around $7.5 per 1000 views or impressions (ad views and clicks).
Do you need 1000 subscribers on YouTube to get paid?
Yes, You must have at least 1000 subscribers in 12 months, but there are some criteria that you need to meet as well such as 4000 watch hours in the last 12 months, YouTube policies and guidelines, your own content, or no subs4subs.
How do I enable monetization on YouTube on my iPhone?
- Install the YT studio from the iPhone app store and log in with your channel email address. Go to your video and click on the edit pencil icon. You will see the dollar sign tab for monetization.
- The other way is, access your YouTube channel from your iPhone browser, tap on the profile icon on the upper right corner, go to YouTube studio and tap on Monetization to enable monetization on YouTube.
YouTube monetization has now become challenging for the one who just uploads a video with less content quality in it.
If you share the quality content that people would find interesting then you will most probably meet the YouTube monetization requirement in a quick time.
YouTube is now focusing on content and reaction on the videos. They use their algorithm to gauge how much potential a particular video has.
Once YouTube finds your video content worth for the viewers, then they may start promoting it to the relevant users. This will help you to meet YouTube monetization requirements and let you join Google AdSense. As soon as you get approval from Adsense, you can allow YouTube for showing ads on your videos.
If you want to grow your YouTube channel with a growing income consistently, then I would recommend you to keep uploading videos on a regular basis. This opens a chance for you to earn money from multiple videos. If some of your videos go viral then you won’t imagine how much you may earn.
You need to show consistency by sharing quality videos on YouTube and this is the way to reach success.
Founder of twomillionways.com
MBA – London
I am here to share my ideas and experience on how to make real money.